Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Let It Go

I accumulate things that I should let go. I always have a reason for keeping them, but they are not good reasons. Some of these reasons are: One of these days I might be interested in this again (to justify retaining books and papers on topics I used to work on); I want my grandchildren to have this (to justify keeping my kids' toys and clothes); my parents gave this to me (to justify keeping clothes I can't wear any more or other items that no longer fit my lifestyle); or this will be worth something some day (to justify retaining old video game systems and their paraphernalia).

The unfortunate fact is that the accumulation of large amounts of unused stuff results in every item having the same low value. The things get stored in bags or boxes out of sight and difficult to reach. The one or two things that actually might be worth keeping for posterity or resale get lost in the crowd. Moreover, the storage sites are probably spots in your house, like the attic, basement, garage, or crawl space that are vulnerable to heat, cold, water leaks, insects, etc., that can damage or destroy. Your stashing of stuff in these places is not attractive to prospective buyers if you're trying to sell your home. If you are moving, they cost you time, effort, and money at a time when you are already under a lot of stress.

Take for example, my kids' stuffed animals, which were in excellent condition when they were stuff in supposedly secure trash bags and stored in our extremely dry crawl space. Then came a record-breaking snowfall, and the crawl space wasn't so dry any more and the bags not so secure. Mold on a cute stuffed animal is particularly ugly, especially when you're moving out of the home your kids grew up in and seeing the decay of their toys somehow makes you feel that you are an irresponsible parent.

So I am intent on learning my lesson. I will no longer store en masse. An item that I can care for and display is enough to hold many memories of other things that I will give away, throw away, or sell. When we move into the new house, I will diligently, promptly, and systematically let go of possessions and let someone else have their benefit.

No comments: